Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Assistive Technologies



This could be the first article in the Educational Leadership magazine where I only have good things to say. The idea of being able to use technology that is very specific to helping students with learning disabilities is a fantastic one. I am enthusiastically for anything that can help students develop grade level reading and writing skills.

  • The ultimate beauty of this technology is that many students can read grade level text without a teacher
  • It gives students the wonderful feeling of independent accomplishment

Read & Write Gold sounds like some good software with the text to speech that students can listen to at their own pace. The writing software that instantaneously gives students a choice of words that they may be trying to use, can only be positive because the student still has to figure out what the correct word would be. The software does not do all of the thinking for the student.

Believe it or not Sitka High has some type of related technology. I have several students who use it, but I don’t know exactly what it is, and I would guess that there are a lot of teachers that don’t know about it. I am now feeling rather ridiculous not having experienced it with one of my students. I will do this soon.

No comments: