Saturday, April 12, 2008

Community Web Sites

I joined the Live Journal online community web site. I found it as a link on the NCTE web site, so I figured it must be okay. When you first look at it, it kind of seems like a conservative, more adult, My Space kind of thing, but it has lots of categories and you can type in teaching or your content area and get connected to blogs and comments. I have actually posted a few comments which was not all that painful, and my typing fingers are still intact.

The thing about this site is that there are quite a few beginning teachers using it and they have plenty of questions. It is somewhat comforting to see a multitude of new teachers with the same questions and apprehension as I have, kind of like the misery loves company phenomena, not that I know any thing about misery.

There are plenty of good ideas you can use, and it seems contributors are happy to share:

It gives me a warm and tingly feeling to know that there are teachers out there that understand how hard it all is, and are willing to let you take, and use, their experiences and ideas.

It’s a beautiful thing, I’m serious, it really is, and I appreciate it.

Another really fascinating thing with this site is that there are teachers from all over the country and even the world. You get to see post from teachers that work in environments that are so very different from our Alaskan experience.

  • There is a post from a teacher from a school in New York City who has to deal with extreme behavior problems
  • There are posts from a lot of suburban teachers.
  • If you are ever thinking about moving out of Alaska and teaching, this is a good site to visit.

Even though this site is worth while, I have been looking around for sites more specific to the teaching community. There are several of them, but the problem is some are just too overloaded and serious, whereas some of the others don’t get used. It’s kind of hard to find something that you are comfortable with and also have the kind informative participants that you are looking for. So this site is good, because it has a little of everything.

Click here to get to Live Journal

No comments: